Tasmanian Ports Corporation Pty Ltd (TasPorts) will continue to ensure the port of Hobart remains the Gateway to the Antarctic.
TasPorts operates and manages all ports in Tasmania, including Hobart where the Antarctic program is based.
Hobart is the home port for Australia’s Antarctic research vessel, RSV Nuyina, the CSIRO marine research vessel, Investigator and for France’s Antarctic support vessel, L’Astrolabe. Other vessels from Antarctic programs operated by China, USA, Italy and Korea are also regular visitors.
TasPorts has developed world-class cargo handling and biosecurity facilities for Hobart to ensure absolutely minimal risk of contamination in Antarctica.
TasPorts’ Hobart facilities include:
- 24/7 port availability
- Nationally competitive port charges
- Specialised services: provedoring, stevedoring, quarantine, secure expedition storage
- Fuel bunkerage
- Common user deep water berths
- Lay-up berth
- Tugs and pilotage services
- Mac 2 Biosecurity and Cargo Centre (Australian Antarctic Division)