As the capital city council of an Antarctic Gateway City, City of Hobart proudly supports our sector to continue to play an internationally significant role in the care and management of Antarctic by:
• Providing a warm welcome to dignitaries and representatives of international Antarctic programs who visit.
• Actively participating in relationships and collaborations with other Antarctic Gateway Cities.
• Facilitating community interest and connectivity with our Antarctic sector (i.e. holding a bi-annual Antarctic Festival, annual Antarctica Day celebrations, welcoming the RSV Nuyina home, public art, skills expos)
• Publicly recognising and supporting our Antarctic sector and its workforce (i.e. hosting an annual Reception to mark the start of the Antarctic Summer, providing meeting space for our Antarctic Women’s Network)
• Promoting the extraordinary science, research, marine and logistics capabilities of our sector to domestic and international audiences.
• Contributing to local policies and strategies around our Antarctic sector through membership on the Tasmanian Antarctic Gateway and the Hobart City Deal.
• Increasing our city’s capacity to accommodate the growth of our Antarctic sector.
• Advocating for significant investment in city infrastructure, capabilities and capacity to allow the sector to continue to provide leadership in the Antarctic.